Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Nose incident...

A week ago, on the Junk Drawer Blog, (one of the better written and funnier blogs out there) we were discussing nose issues. (It's a long story, just go read the blog) In the discussion I mentioned my horse breaking my nose, and some interesting fun I had at work because of it. I was challenged to provide the whole story of said incident.

Some years ago (aprox 14) I was horseback riding with a good friend (who shall remain nameless because strangely enough she is a main part of most of the stories I have of getting injured on horse back..hmmm) Anyway, this friend was riding Horse du Jour from my herd, a spritely 15 h grey Arabian gelding. I was riding my green broke 16 h black TWH mare Shadow who was about twice the geldings weight, and not very graceful. Said friend led the way, tripping along on the gelding, across a murky stream, hopped over a log on the other side and continued on the trail. My mare got halfway across the stream, and promptly sunk past her knees in muck. (we were very close to the bay and wetlands). Unaware of the drama behind her, my friend rode on, and as the gelding went out of sight, my mare panicked, believing she was abandoned to sink into quicksand, and pulled a maneuver worthy of a Lipizzaner. From the bottom of the stream, she reared up and lept up the bank and over the fallen tree in one tremendous bound. In doing this she slammed her 15 pounds of bone head into my nose, breaking my glasses, and causing me to see stars for a moment as she hurried down the trail. I caught up with my friend, realized my glasses were broken and tucked them in a pocket. My nose hurt, but I wasn't going to end a ride just for that!

We got home, and I looked in the mirror. My nose looks a little funny. I touch it and realize I can lay it over on my cheek! Too cool! My Dr confirmed it was broken, and said if I would leave it alone after he straightened it, he wouldn't pack it and I wouldn't have to breathe out of my mouth for the next couple of weeks. Sure, I can do that I said. But, I couldn't resist showing everyone at work my nose laying flat (I wish I'd had a hidden camera that day, it was priceless! what a bunch of wimps!) So I healed with some odd bumps, and a little off center, C'est la Vie!

I did have a rather unique benefit from this however. All my life I had suffered from horrible sinus infections and migraines. I had a deviated septum, which can be fixed but involves painful surgery and weeks of a packed nose while it heals (and 5k if insurance doesn't cover it). Well, my horse fixed my deviated septum in one blow. I haven't had a bad sinus infection or serious migraine since then. Well worth it! I should rent her out....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Amazing! And well worth the wait. Thank you for writing about your horrible nose accident. I try to picture what it looks like for a nose to lay on one's cheek. I can't wrap my brain around that. Would have totally loved to see some pictures. Next time, OK?

Shadow Rider said...

Deal, LOL! I'm sure there will be other bizarre injuries, I ride horses...